SUPREME COURT
CNR MITCHELL & HERBERT STS
DARWIN NT 0800

PHOTOS: SUPREME COURTH OF NTFLICKR & FLICKR
The Darwin Law Courts on Mitchell Street was completed in 1965 for the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department, designed by the Commonwealth Department of Works with H. Garnet Alsop & Partners handling documentation and Ian Freeland as consulting project architect. The building was constructed by Darwin firm A. L. & M. Maddalozzo.

The building consolidated the Territory's scattered legal administration into a single purpose-built complex, housing the Supreme Court, a second court, Magistrates Court, Registrar-General's Offices, Crown Law Office, and Judges Chambers, with police cells and a strongroom in the semi-basement. Prior to its construction, court functions had been conducted from three adapted ex-Naval huts on the Esplanade since 1947–48. Preliminary sketch plans were agreed between the Attorney-General's Department and the Department of Works by 1956, with construction following in the early 1960s.

The building is a reinforced concrete frame structure across semi-basement, ground and first floors, with full-height precast concrete sun screens projecting from the facade. Total cost at completion was $892,830 (excluding furnishings).

The building was demolished in 2000. Its design and construction were documented in Architecture in Australia, September 1966, as part of the journal's "work of Government architects" series.

Heritage Status: Not Listed (demolished).






COPYRIGHT 2021 - Present
LOGO DESIGN BY STUDIO WORLDWIDE